I went “no poo” (that sounds so dirty!) years ago, but since went back to using shampoo because it was just easier at the time. I am contemplating trying it again. My hair was fuller and softer when I wasn’t using store-bought shampoo. I also loved that I could customize it to my own hair. Here is how you can go shampoo-free:
Step One: Baking Soda and Water
You will have to experiment a little to get the mix right. The starting mix is:
- 1 Tbs Baking Soda in 1 Cup warm water
Do not add more baking soda! It will make your hair dry. Pour it on your hair and let it sit for about a minute. When I was making it I would make a larger batch in a squirt bottle (or old shampoo bottle) then just shake it before I poured it over my hair.
Step Two: Rinse (0ptional)
The rinse is like the conditioner step, you can do it if you want but you do not have to do it every time. The rinse mix is:
- 1-2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar in 1 cup water.
Pour it over your hair and rinse with cold water. You can do the same thing with the squirt bottle that I did with the shampoo mix.
- If you hair is dry decrease the amount of baking soda or use a deep oil treatment every few weeks
- If your hair is long you may have to increase the baking soda
- You can add essential oils or herbs (a drop or two) to get the scent and extra properties that you are looking for.
- Sometimes it takes your hair a little while to get used to it (it can be a little oily for a week or two). I was working when I originally tried this so I “eased” into it to avoid this problem. I started by doing this every third shampoo, then every other, then completely switched over after three weeks. I didn’t have the oily problem that some people report
I think this, once again, helps on the journey towards sustainability. You will no longer have to purchase shampoo. Anything that frees me from going to the store is a plus in my book.
Other Benefits of not Using Shampoo
- My hair was both softer and fuller not using shampoo.
- You can choose your own scents and benefits using herbs and essential oils
- Completely tear-free for babies and kids
- Eventually you can cut back to “shampooing” every 3-4 days! Seriously! Your hair actually produces more oil when you shampoo because the shampoo dries your hair and your hair follicles respond by producing oil. Repeat this pattern and eventually your hair will be producing more oil that it needs. Going no-shampoo will have an opposite effect.
Happy homesteading! Click here to sign up for my mailing list