This Beef and Portobello Minestroganoff recipe is another great Fall treat! It is simple to make and there are a few opportunities to use your own homestead ingredients (carrots, onions, chicken broth, tomatoes). Soups are definitely one of my favorite fall dinners. All ingredients for this recipe cost less than $10 (if you buy everything from the store).
This recipe is reprinted with permission from the Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. If you like magazines then I recommend this one. There are a lot of great recipes and a year subscription is only $7.99.
Beef and Portobello Minestroganoff
Serves 4; Prep 10 minutes; Cook 25 minutes
Ingredients (for Beef and Portobello Minestroganoff):
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, halved and thickly sliced
- ½ pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tiny pasta, such as ditalini
- ¼ cup sour cream
Directions (for Beef and Portobello Minestroganoff):
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Add the beef to the pot and cook over medium-high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the vegetable mixture, chicken broth and tomatoes.
- Stir on the pasta and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the pasta is tender, 10 to 12 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with the sour cream.
Super simple, right! Be sure to check out my other dinner under $10 recipes.