This cheesy hash brown chili is easy to make. It originally came from Every Day with Rachael Ray (and is posted with permission). The ingredients are less than $10 and will be even less if you are able to use your own garden fresh vegetables and beans.
Ingredients for Cheesy Hash Brown Chili
- 2 Tbs Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 pound frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions to make cheesy hash brown chili
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring until the onion is soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in the tomato paste. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans and tomatoes (with their juice) and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine the potatoes and cheese. Scatter he potato mixture over the chili. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling (about 35 minutes).