Here is a frugal homemade gift idea that’s easy and fun to make, doesn’t break the bank and looks wonderful! You’ll even want to make some for yourself!
DIY Washer Necklace
Supplies for the Washer Necklace:
- Flat or Fender washers You can use any size that you want. They can be found at hardware, home improvement stores, or find them online (they start at $6 for 100 at Amazon).
- Dimensional Glaze Dimensional glazes give a thick protective layer and are good for flat pieces to give them a glass-like surface. There are MANY different types and brands. The Amazon link goes to Judikins ($5.49), but you can use glossy accents, crystal effects, or crystal lacquer.
- Patterned paper You can use scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, newspaper, pages from a dictionary or magazines.
- Sand Paper
- Glue Any glue suitable to glue your paper to the washer such as Mod Podge
Directions to make a washer necklace:
- 1. Trace the washer onto your paper and cut or punch out.
- 2. Apply glue to the washer. Place the cut out paper circle onto washer and smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles. Using a pencil, push through center hole.Let your glue set a couple minutes.
- 3. Use your sand paper or emery board and sand the edges to remove excess paper and get a cleaner line. Roll sand paper to sand inside circle.
- 4. Apply your Dimensional Glaze. Be sure to get glaze all the way to the edges.Let glaze completely dry with washer laying flat.Most glazes take at least 24 hours.
- 5. Add any embellishments now such as wire, beads, rhinestones. The possibilities are endless.
- 6. Attach to your chosen necklace material.
The glue goes a long way. Purchasing 100 washers and both types of glue from Amazon will cost $19.47 and you will be able to make as many of the washer charms as you want.
Click here to sign up for my mailing list.