Christmas is coming so it is time to start looking at personal, homemade, Christmas gifts. DIY Barbie furniture (and doll furniture like in the book above, which can be found here) is an excellent gift for the young girls in your life.
Some Homemade Christmas Ideas
- I love these hand warmers for the adults in your life (you can even make them for the guys!).
- These washer necklaces are great for the adult women on your list.
- These DIY spoon garden markers would be a hit with any gardener on your list.
- And today I want to show you plastic canvas barbie furniture, plastic canvas doll furniture and plastic canvas play kitchen tools for the kids.
One of my favorite mediums to recommend to DIYer's for making kids gifts is plastic canvas… seriously! It is so simple that it doesn't matter what your experience level is… you CAN DO IT! Plus, it holds up well to kid-play and it is cheap.
While I have made plastic canvas barbie furniture before I do want to disclose that I have not made the doll furniture or play kitchen tools (yet). I saw them in my quest for some new doll patterns. I may try some this Christmas season because my littlest is in the play kitchen stage (and her favorite doll is 10″).
Learn How to Make DIY Plastic Canvas Barbie Furniture and Kid's Toys
Most books will have a short tutorial, but if you want to get into some more complex patterns I recommend:
- Plastic Canvas Stitch Dictionary
- Teach me Plastic Canvas (this one is written for kids so it's a good start if the kids want to make gifts for each other)
If you have some background in sewing or needlecraft then you will probably pick up on it just using the tutorials at the front of the pattern books.
Where to Find DIY Barbie Furniture, Doll Furniture, and Kid Toy Patterns
- Local library. Try here first. If they happen to have any pattern books they will be free 🙂
- Amazon. I find some great books here. Many are out of print and too expensive to purchase, but the pictures will still give you ideas.
- Make your own. Use those pictures for inspiration to come up with your own pattern!
A couple Free patterns:
Have fun crafting!